Sunday, March 04, 2012

A Silly Conversation - NaNoWriMo Vignette #7

Here is my second to last vignette in the group of stories I was narrowing down to take to the Thank God It's Over Party at the end of NaNoWriMo 2011. If you missed vignettes 1 - 6 you can find them here, here, here, here, here, and here.

To make it easier, I'll list them too:

Vignette #1
Vignette #2
Vignette #3
Vignette #4
Vignette #5
Vignette #6

I have no illusions as to this being my very best writing. It is writing I did while using Dr. Wicked's Write or Die, while trying to type 500 words in 15 minutes. These were the results. I only edited for typos and readability. In this next one, the entire vignette is a dialogue. I used dashes because I felt the quotation marks were slowing me down. In the original, every line has a double dash (--) before the dialog. To help you keep track of "who" is speaking (I didn't have character names in this) I'll put a double dash (--) before each line of dialog spoken by one character, and a double asterisk (**) before each line of dialog spoken by the other.

Here goes....

A Silly Conversation

--So when were you going to tell me about Joe?

**What's there to tell?

--Well, I noticed you've been doing a lot of messaging with him.

**How would you know that?

--You left your computer wide open and I was just walking by and...

**And so you read my posts?

--I didn't really read them, I just noticed who they were from.

**Well, I guess you didn't read them because if you had, you would have known there was nothing to them.

--Was? So then you aren't talking to him any more?

**I was never talking to him. We were writing. He's my writing buddy.

--Oh, I see, is that what you kids are calling it these days?

**Calling what? We're doing NaNoWriMo and he happens to be one of my writing buddies. He lives in South Africa for crying out loud!

--Why didn't you say so?

**Why should I? I have lots of writing buddies both male and female, why are you so interested in Joe?

--I don't know, I guess that happened to be who you were writing to when I walked by.

**Okay.

--You know, people can travel form here to South Africa and from South Africa to California.

**I have no desire to travel to South Africa.

--Maybe your writing buddy would like to travel to California?

**If he does, I'll let you know. I'm sure he has plenty of other writing buddies. As a matter of fact, here, look, this is his profile. See? Look at all of his writing buddies!

--Slut.

**Really? Slut?This isn't a sex site, it's a writing site. You that, right?

--What were we talking about?

**Seriously?

--I'm sorry, I feel like I just woke up.

**Are you taking Ambien(R) again?

--Yeah, how did you know?

**Uh, well apparently you can read in you sleep.

--Huh?

**You started accusing me of having an affair with one of my writing buddies.

--That's crazy! You're on a writing site!

**Well, you know, some people have gotten together because of NaNoWriMo...

--What are you doing?

**I'm just saying.

--Are you trying to make me jealous?

**No, I was just stating a fact. They even had a blog post about it on the Office of Letters and Light. This couple met on NaNoWriMo a couple of years ago. He was from the UK and she was from the US and now they are married and living in the UK.

--Oh my god! That is so cute! Where's the post? Do they have pictures?

**Yeah. Look, right here.

--Oh. My. God. Is that their invitation? How cute is that?

**I know, right? Okay, ummm I have to get back to writing.

--Okay...yeah, you get back to Facebook...

**Hey, sometimes I just need a little break...

--I know, kidding!

**Oh, hey! Don't forget to record American Horror Story tonight!

--You know I won't!

**I hope the have another Halloween episode next season!

--I hope there is a next season.

**How can there not be a next season? The show is incredible!

--Yeah, and you know, if I like show, then it's probably doomed.

**Oh, you're still mad about CBS cancelling Joan of Arcadia and for Ghost Whisperer?

--Well, come one, who wouldn't rather watch Amber Tamblyn over Jennifer Hate Hewitt?

**A lot of straight guys, probably.

--How would you know what straight guys like?

**Uh, I was in the closet for the first 23 years of my life, I think I have some idea.

--But you'll never really know for sure, will you?

**Who cares? I know what I like.




No comments: